Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Visit From The Goon Squad

They say you can't judge a book by it's cover, but, the fact is, people do. Jennifer Egan's newest book is far too good to have the cover it has. So, if the cover was what was holding you back ("is this rock fiction for tweens?"), don't let it. Pick up this book. I'm only three chapters in and I am hooked and then some. It may be too soon to tell, but I feel myself liking Egan's writing the way I do DFWallace, and for many of the same reasons. The writing is what they call postmo and meta, but mostly it is just very very good. I love this story, I love these characters, I love the way they talk and feel. Egan makes fiction come alive in that the people she makes up don't seem made up, they seem real. Fully realized. Wonderful. Books this good you just hope the author doesn't screw it up before the end. If she doesn't, this will be a new favorite, and I will be checking out more of Egan's fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment